Having a nice dinner, listening to a favourite song, and making someone smile. These are just some of the things Singaporeans have listed as their top 50 simple pleasures in life. The major international poll was commissioned by Small Luxury Hotels of the World.
Accumulatively researchers polled 6,000 adults from Singapore, the UK, Australia, and the USA to determine all the little things that bring us a little bit of joy without breaking the bank. Making the list of the top 50 simple pleasures include being somewhere new and finishing a really good book.
Other favourites include stunning views as well as receiving a compliment from a stranger and payday.
Simple Things Matter
Approximately 1,000 locals, aged 18 to 65 on average, were polled in this research. The study identified a universal love of cake with the polled revealing it to be one of their favourite small pleasures. Catching up with friends, seeing flowers and trees blossom, exercise and going on a bike ride as well as shopping trips all appeared in the top 50 too – along with relaxing by the pool.
Those polled however only enjoy an average of around seven (6.5) moments of simple pleasures each week – not quite once a day. On average, the satisfaction of a moment’s pleasure can last for upwards of 24 minutes. Although 14 per cent admitted they get a glow for up to an hour.
However, over half of those polled, believe they don’t get to enjoy life’s simplest pleasures often enough for their liking. Forty-eight per cent feel they don’t have enough time in their day-to-day to take advantage of small pleasures as much as they should.
In revealing their top 50 simple pleasures in life, more than a third said work commitments are a major hindrance. Twenty-five per cent think being a parent has left them with less time to enjoy simple pleasures. However, they are quick to add that they appreciate it more when they do.
“Our list found many of life’s pleasures are the ones often found on holiday,” explains Mark Wong, Senior Vice President, Asia Pacific, Small Luxury Hotels of the World. “Now that vaccinations and travel bubbles in the Asia-Pacific region are coming in place, we are optimistic that people will be able to safely enjoy some of these simple pleasures abroad before too much longer.”
THE TOP 50 SIMPLE PLEASURES IN LIFE
- A nice dinner
- Listening to your favourite songs
- Watching your favourite movie
- Dining out
- Making someone smile or laugh
- Staying in bed on a Sunday morning
- Sleeping in a big incredibly comfy bed
- Spend a weekend away
- Doing exercise
- Sleeping in a freshly made bed
- Visiting a new cafe/eatery
- Sound of rain on the window
- Spend the day shopping
- Stunning views
- Wearing an outfit that makes you feel good
- Going for a drink with friends
- Going to the beach
- Having dinner made for you
- Home cooking
- Finding money in a purse/wallet you had forgotten about
- Smell of coffee in the morning
- Long walks
- Not having to set the alarm at the weekend or on a day off
- Being somewhere new
- Going to the cinema
- Having a gossip or catchup with friends
- Receiving a compliment from a stranger
- Seeing flowers and trees blossom
- Finishing a really good book
- Hearing the wind blow through the trees
- Spend a day relaxing by the pool
- Having a good hair day
- Getting a delivery in the post
- Visit a public garden
- Seeing old people hold hands
- Being in the countryside
- Getting a cuddle from your children
- Trying a new recipe
- Donating to charity
- Someone making you a cup of tea
- Having a coffee/tea in bed
- Meeting new people
- Playing sport with friends or family
- Having a picnic
- Buying fresh local food produce
- Going on a bike ride
- Putting your out of office on as you head off on a holiday
- Playing with your pet